Monday 30 April 2007

Rubbish!

On the train today I sat opposite a woman who was probably in her twenties.

She was reading a book and reached into her handbag and pulled out a SpecialK snack bar. She unwrapped it, removed it from the packaging and then reached behind her seat with the wrapper in her hand. She then dropped the wrapper. On the floor. In front of a packed commuter train.

I waited to see if she would realise her mistake - nothing.

So I leant towards her and said "Excuse me. Er, there isn't a rubbish bin there."

"Oh sorry." she said and picked the rubbish up and put it in her handbag. She didn't look at all embarrassed and carried on reading her book.

I felt very smug, but also very disgusted that she'd considered her behaviour was acceptable.

I told Dave about this, this evening. He told me he'd been talking to an American colleague while they were walking outside. The American had reached for a new cigarette packet, torn off the cellophane and casually discarded it." Dave turned and said "I'm sorry. I can't let you do that." The discarded packaging was duly picked up and an uncomfortable silence followed.

3 comments:

northernlight said...

I think you are very brave to challenge someone on a train. But her lack of remorse is a bit shocking. I particularly hate it when people throw cigarette butts or other rubbish out of their car windows. grrr

Ann Cardus said...

Not brave at all. What could she do but comply?

The other day I saw a guy jump onto a train and chuck his still lit cigarette onto the platform as the door were closing. That was the one that got away.

northernlight said...

I still think you are brave because she could have been abusive towards your, or hit you. I know someone who got arrested after getting involved in an argument on the tube. (She did throw a coffee over someone though...)