Saturday 29 September 2007

Tables turned

We had lunch in M&S today.

The kiddie offering was a picnic bag containing organic apple juice, organic raisins, cheese triangle biscuits, chocolate lollipop and yummy sandwiches.

The yummy sandwiches were to be selected at the checkout. Given the upmarket sounding organic contents of the remainder of the selection, I was optimistic about the 'yummy' sandwiches.

How disappointing then to have the choice of either tuna, or cheese, both housed in white bread.

Anyway this lunch consumption had to be supervised. It's commonly understood that before one gets ones paws on a chocolate lollipop one needs to consume ones savouries.

The frequent cajoling of my two took a familiar form. "Eat your sandwiches and cheese triangles and then you can have your chocolate lollipop."

The cafe was crowded and my verbal encouragement became more consistent and insistent as I felt guilty about occupying a table for so long because my children were eating exceptionally slowly.

After chivvying Ethan just one more time that was tolerable for him, he responded with "I'll eat if just stop talking!"

That told me.

No comments: