Wednesday 3 September 2008

It doesn't get better than this

I could have put this on my work blog but it was too good not to share it here too.

The team at work needed to restore data using a backup of the system. They contacted the department that do the backups.

I'm not exactly sure of the detail, but I was told that the latest backup was only done five months ago. This was a shock because backups were supposed to be happening regularly, daily.

When this was investigated the team responsible for backing up the system said that they used to get daily e-mails reminding them to back up the system, but the e-mails were irritating them, so they set up a rule to delete them automatically.

No reminder e-mail, no backup.

I laughed and laughed.

Did someone say "Muppets!"

2 comments:

Rana said...

I can understand the need to stop daily email overload and move to "exception-based comms", but are you saying this department (one that I know well too) forgot to do the backups when they stopped getting the email? That is what you're saying, but it's surely too ridiculous to be true.

Ann Cardus said...

I did say and mean that backups stopped when the e-mails stopped. But trust me, in my world, this is not too ridiculous to be true.