Sunday 7 February 2010

History

“01-02-MMII

Dear Ann

Your great uncle James opened his tailoring business in Ship Yard Leeds in September 1919.

Your great uncle Frank enlisted in RHA in 1915 and died of wounds 1917.

Your granddad was mustard gassed in Oct 1918 and was discharged in the following January.  He was a wonderful father.

When we are due to meet remind me to show you your grandma’s now tatty “diary” for the period.

Love, Dad”

I just found this amongst some papers that needed sorting.  It was written on a simple postcard.  It made me cry. 

It reminded me of my dad.  I miss him.

It also made me think about the loss and pain caused by war.

It also reminded me of my grandma’s diary which I now have in my possession and which is such a fascinating slice of life in Leeds around the time of the Great War and afterwards.  Dad was right that it isn’t really a diary at all, more of a notebook recording purchases, births, weddings, deaths and recipes, all in one tiny little leather bound book.

One day my daughter may well be sorting through my belongings and find the diary, or the postcard, and maybe she’ll cry too.

2 comments:

The Ample Cook said...

Oh Ann, how sad for you.

My Sister and I have experienced the same sort of thing. We recently sorted a load of photos at our Dad's house and we found several little things that my nieces had made or given my Mum.

They're lovely to find but incredibly sad as well.

Ann Cardus said...

Hannah picked up the diary today and asked about it. She wanted to know who I'd be leaving it to...