Tuesday 21 February 2012

Naughty Boy Pancakes

Ethan was mean to Hannah yesterday.  It was completely unacceptable behaviour and it required a tough punishment.

He had been waxing lyrical about how much he was looking forward to pancake day and that was his undoing.  His punishment was to have no pancakes on pancake day.

He cried.  I felt guilty.

This morning he woke up crying.  I felt guilty.

This afternoon when I picked him up from school he cried.  I felt guilty.

He told me that this was probably the worst day of his life.  I laughed silently and invisibly at the lengths to which he would go to try and get me to change my mind.  Outwardly I was considerate but firm and stuck with the punishment.  I also explained to Ethan that in a normal year there are about 362 days that are pancake free for him and perhaps he should re-evaluate the disastrous nature of the predicament in which he found himself.

Hannah had pancakes (about ten of them), Ethan and I had none.

I thought you might like a recipe for pancakes.  Let's call it Naughty Boy Pancakes although in reality it's merely Nigella's recipe repackaged.

Pancake

Makes ten (ish) pancakes:

Ingredients

  • 150g flour
  • 1 egg
  • 325ml milk
  • 30g unsalted butter melted and cooled a little
  • More unsalted butter for cooking

Method

  • Take flour egg and milk and put into a tall jug (the sort that comes with those whizzy blender thingies).  Use whizzy blender thingy to mix batter then stir in melted butter.
  • Melt some butter in a frying pan.
  • When butter is sizzling a little then pour in enough batter which when swirled around the pan adequately covers the bottom of the pan.  I find that when poured the batter covers about two fifths of the pan before swirling.
  • You need to cook until nicely browned on the underside.  This should be less than a minute.
  • Flip the pancake with either panache and style using just the pan and a toss or, if you're like me, using a fish slice.
  • Cook for same amount of time on this side and then serve.
  • I find I end up being a pancake factory on Shrove Tuesday constantly serving hungry mouths but if you want to make this more of a sit down at the table affair then cook all you need and just ping in microwave to warm them up before serving.
  • Serve with whatever you fancy.

Ethan's talking to me now and I think we're friends again.  He has a short memory.

 

 

No comments: