Sunday 27 May 2012

Killer brownies recipe with pictures


Killer because they are capable of inducing heart attacks.  Brownies because they’re brownies.  Recipe because…


Ingredients
  • 250g unsalted butter (I use organic but you don’t have to)
  • 200g dark chocolate (recipe actually says Fairtrade 70% cocoa solids and in handwritten capitals it says Green and Blacks but I didn’t use Green and Blacks)
  • 50g chopped pecans
  • 80g cocoa powder (don’t know why recipe doesn’t say Fairtrade for this)
  • 65g plain flour (I use organic)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 360g sugar (recipe says caster sugar but I used golden granulated sugar, whatever that is)
  • 4 large free range eggs (recipe says free range or organic whereas I didn’t think they were mutually exclusive)
Method
  • Recipe states 25cm square tin and I’ve bought a lovely one from Lakeland which has a removable base.  
  • Line your tin with greaseproof paper and grease tin and greaseproof paper (I know this is a faff) and turn the oven on to 180 degrees (or 160 degrees for fan oven)

Lined tin
  • In a bain marie (large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water) melt chocolate and butter then stir in your nuts (the chopped ones).
Butter, chocolate and pecans in bain marie
  • In a separate bowl mix cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and sugar.
  • Sieve flour and cocoa mix onto melted chocolate and butter. (I tip melted stuff into Kenwood Chef bowl and then add flour and cocoa mix).  Mix until combined.
Chocolate mixture with flour, cocoa, baking powder and sugar
  • Beat eggs then add and mix well until silky consistency (I don’t really know what a silky consistency looks like so I just mix for a bit until I get bored - I have a low boredom threshold).
Silky consistency?
  • Pour and scoop and scrape your mixture into the baking tin and chuck in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.  There is no point in guessing whether it’s “done” because with brownies it’s a dark art so just stick to the 25 mins.
Fresh from the oven (will sink/sag after about 10 mins)
  • When the killer brownies emerge from the oven, allow to cool before cutting into heart attack inducing chunks and serve to your murder victims.  The brownies can be difficult to cut.  The brownies are much easier to cut (with pizza cutter) when frozen.
  • The brownies freeze very well.

No comments: