Friday 24 May 2013

The media hungry and why we should deny them

The horrific murder of Drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich this week has shocked the World.  It has done this for two reasons.

The nature of the attack as described is an unimaginable horror, but we don't have to use our imaginations because so much has been shared by the media.  What we have seen and heard has also shocked us.

I have tried to avoid the coverage but I've seen enough to know I wish I hadn't seen anything.

The perpetrators of this crime were seeking publicity and they were given exactly what they wanted.  This makes me feel physically sick.  

I believe that the crime should have been reported and the victim named, with the family's consent.  I don't believe the murderers' crimes, faces or voices should have appeared in any media outlet.  Police should have taken all recording devices they could get their hands on from the scene and pictures, video and voice recordings should have been taken for evidence but removed from the public to prevent publication.

Some people seek fame for selfish reasons and choose to apply to Big Brother or one of the many talent shows.   This might offend our senses but it is relatively harmless.

Others seek fame for a cause or a belief, and when that's a cause that seeks to promote violence and hate then I think they should be denied the martyr style coverage they seek.  

I think Drummer Rigby's murderers were seeking to inspire others to undertake similar acts.  It's a lot harder to achieve this without a name, a face or a voice.  I recognise there will be those who will argue that free speech is more important and I am normally in favour of free speech, but not this time.

No comments: