Makes 10-12 muffins
- 250g plain flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 85g sugar (caster or granulated)
- 1 egg
- 240ml milk
- 90ml corn oil
- 110g chopped glacé cherries
- 60g chopped pecans (you can use walnuts if you want to)
- Put muffin cases in muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 160°C if fan oven.
- In a large bowl stir flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. You can sift the flour if you really want to (I don't think it makes much of a difference).
- In a separate bowl beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk, oil and cherries.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Add the chopped walnuts during the last few strokes.
- Spoon into muffin cases and pop in the oven for 20 minutes. Our oven doesn't cook evenly so at 17 minutes I turn the muffin tin through 180 degrees. At 20 minutes if they look like they need a couple of extra minutes then leave the muffins in for a little longer.
- These muffins freeze well and a 30 second blast of a frozen muffin in the microwave makes it the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee.