Friday 17 June 2011

Orange and date muffins and indignant rage

I made these the other day because I needed to make something and happened to have both oranges and dates in the house.
Orange and date muffins
I was feeling guilty about not having baked anything for the School Sports Day cake sale so, in the small window of time I have on Thursdays between leaving work and doing the school run, I got baking.
I took these, fresh from the oven to the school office.  I went to the Infant School office first and was met with a blank look.  They weren't expecting any bakes but wanted a quick peek to see what I'd made.  Freshly baked orange and date muffin aroma filled the office and was quickly followed by the request for a sample.  We agreed I ought to check the Junior School office.
As I handed over my wares to the Junior School office they said "Thanks.  If it's rained off can we have these in the staff room?"
What would you have said?  I used a small window of time in a busy week to bake muffins for a cake sale to raise funds for the school and the office staff fancied diverting them to the staffroom.  What I thought and what I said differed.  What I said, through gritted teeth, was "Only if you give some money to charity."
Anyway, Sports Day was rained off but the cake sale went ahead. My indignant rage wasn't required.
But we digress.  Easy peasy orange and date muffins.
Ingredients
  • 280g plain flour
  • 1 1/2 baking powder
  • 1/2 soda bicarbonate
  • pinch of salt
  • 110g sugar (caster or granulated)
  • 1 egg
  • 4 tsps of orange rind, roughly what you'd get from two large oranges
  • 180ml orange juice (from the grated oranges and topped up with stuff from a carton)
  • 90ml corn oil
  • 85g chopped dates (I used posh medjool dates but only because they were in the fridge taking up space and needed eating/cooking.  I'm sure any dates would be just fine.)
Optional, but oh so sticky and gooey, glaze
  • 85g icing sugar
  • 4 tsps orange juice
  • 1/4 tsp grated orange rind
Method
  • This recipe makes about 11 muffins so pop your muffin cases in your muffin tin and crank the oven up to 160°C.
  • In a large bowl stir flour, baking powder soda bicarb, salt and sugar.
  • In another bowl, beat egg and add grated rind, juice and oil.
  • Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until no dry flour remains.  Add dates in final few strokes.
  • Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes ish, until they are a lovely golden brown.
  • Wile the muffins are baking combine the glaze ingredients and then drizzle over hot muffins when they come out of the oven.
  • These muffins freeze well (as I told the lady in the school office.)
Enjoy.

No comments: