I’ve been working my way through a soup recipe book. It has a recipe for every day of the year. I’m not cooking every recipe but February 4th is “the best yet” according to my progeny. And February 4th happens to be Yellow Split Pea and Bacon. It doesn’t sound very inspiring, except the bacon bit. Everyone loves bacon.
It’s such a simple recipe, and very tasty, so I thought it was worth sharing.
- 170g yellow split peas
- 1 potato, diced
- half an onion, diced
- pinch of white pepper
- 375ml vegetable stock
- 40g celeriac
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch turmeric
- 500g cooked, smoked bacon, diced
- In a large saucepan place 100g of the yellow split peas and all of the other ingredients except the bacon.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove the bay leaf and blend until smooth
- Add the remaining yellow split peas and bacon and cook gently for another 20 minutes, or until the peas have softened.
Can be frozen and defrosted/reheated