Sunday 25 January 2009

Assisted death

A bit of a gloomy title I admit.

I fell across “A Short Stay in Switzerland” starring Julie Walters tonight (BBC1). There wasn’t much else on.

Julie Walter’s portrayal of Dr Anne Turner was inspired. She, and her fellow actors, brought me to tears.

I read an interview with Julie Walters and, in preparation for the role, she met Dr Turner’s three children. She also found that, during filming, the insomnia that she used to suffer from, but had overcome, returned. It was clearly a role with impact.

I know one shouldn’t really be influenced by drama. Drama is fiction and and can never completely and accurately reflect reality. But, I believe assisted dying should not be illegal in the UK.

I hope that if I’m ever in the same position as Anne Turner that I would be able to demonstrate the same level of courage that she had.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"assisted dying should not be illegal in the UK"

Only a sick twisted sadist (*) would prohibit assisted-death where the requester is in such pain that he or she cannot bear to continue

(*) or a religious person

Ann Cardus said...

If you read the links in the post you'd have read the views of the Bishop of Oxford.