Saturday 17 January 2009

Security versus stupid

I’m not quite sure what’s right here.  I’ve just had a call from the credit card company checking my expenditure.  Could I confirm some purchases?  So I did.

  1. Train fare and parking at station
  2. Tesco groceries online
  3. Amazon purchase
  4. Farm shop
  5. Sainsbury in store

“Excellent, thanks for confirming.  Did you try and buy something online this evening?”

“Er yes.  Well I didn’t try, I succeeded.  I bought a tumble dryer

“That one’s been declined”

“What?  Why?”

“Because it’s an online purchase and there’s a lot of online fraud right now.  The company you bought from are bound to get in touch, and when they do you can tell them we’ll approve the transaction the next time it’s put through.”

“That doesn’t help me right now does it?  In fact it’s jolly inconvenient.”

On the one hand I don’t want to have my credit card abused but, this isn’t an abnormal purchase for me, so don’t decline it and give me the inconvenience!

2 comments:

Rana said...

How could a tumble dryer purchase not be abnormal? it can't be normal for anyone to buy one of those regularly. Particularly as your other 5 seem the very definition of ordinary (no offense intended:)

Ann Cardus said...

Well except that it wasn't long ago that we bought a washing machine and the two do tend to go together. But apart from that, all they see is the amount and the retailer. They don't know what we're buying.
Does this mean I should phone and check it's OK for me to buy travel for a family holiday?
What about the next bit of tech I might fancy owning?
What about a new bit of furniture?
None of these things are out of the ordinary. They don't happen every day but I'd say one or two, every now and again, is within tolerances.
Part of the problem is that it's all mechanised. Software stops the transaction, and only then a human being is involved. Perhaps the transaction should be held in suspense until the human being makes contact, at which point it should be approved.