Sunday 24 September 2006

Seriously

I rarely do serious, but today I will make an exception.

Yesterday I received a friend request from a stranger. Normally I read the profile, figure out whether it's a band, a weirdo, or a real life friend in disguise. Anyway yesterday it was from someone who fitted into none of these groups. You can see them on my friend list: Live Life then Give Life.

Normally MySpace is used for self promotion, friend networks, because it's there, it provides a platform for sharing photos etc. Well "Live Life then Give Life" are using MySpace to promote something, but it's something really positive - organ donation.

You may have completed a donor card in the past, and maybe you've lost it, maybe you think it's on your driving licence or maybe you'd forgotten about organ donation and donor cards.

Well did you know you could register online? You can at:
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk.

This website also provides access to free merchandise (pens, sweets, balloons etc). Now you may not work for a big company, but if you do, how's this for an idea?: get loads of merchandise together with leaflets about how to register to be a donor and make it all available at your workplace. It's a small amount of effort on your part, but think of the difference you will make if, as the result of your actions, one person who needs an organ to save their life gets one. It doesn't have to be a large workplace but I figure that with access to about 9,000 employees I ought to give it a go.

And this isn't personal for me. I don't know anyone who needs an organ and I don't know anyone that's benefitted. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Sorry for being serious. Normal banality will be resumed tomorrow.

No comments: