Thursday 5 February 2009

Junk food

I bake, sometimes, not often, but sometimes.

I’m not very good but I do have tried and tested recipes that I know I can do. I also have no fear of new recipes that I haven’t tried before.

If I want to make fairy cakes, I make them, using a recipe. I have friends who have a different approach.

One friend, let’s call her Tammy, because that’s her name, has a different approach to making fairy cakes. She buys a packet, adds an egg, mixes it together, bungs it in the oven and then burns it.

I don’t know which one she buys but I’d hazard a guess at the Disney Princess mix (£1.99 which makes 10). This is the ingredients list to which an egg is added:

  • Wheat Flour
  • Sugar
  • Vegetable Oil (Containing Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils)
  • Whey Powder
  • Soya Flour
  • Dried Egg
  • Skimmed Milk Powder
  • Raising Agents: E450, E500,
  • Rice Starch
  • Salt
  • Emulsifiers: E475, E471
  • Colouring: E160, E102, E129, E132, E133
  • Icing Sugar
  • Tri-Calcium Phosphate (E341)
  • Cornstarch
  • Egg White Powder
  • Arabic Gum

This is my ingredients list for fairy cakes:

  • Butter
  • Plain flour
  • Baking powder
  • Milk
  • Egg
  • Sugar
  • Icing sugar
  • Lemon juice
  • Hot water
  • Decorations

Tammy’s fairy cakes take about five minutes to prepare before they get burnt in the oven. Mine take ten minutes to prepare before they get cooked to a light golden brown colour.

I don’t understand the cakes from a box thing, and never will. I know what I prefer to eat, and I know what I prefer my children to eat.

Tomorrow I’m sharing a recipe or two with Tammy.

No comments: