Sunday 5 August 2007

Not in the plan

It's Sunday and the weather is as it should be in August. The sun is out and I plan to take full advantage.

I don a bikini knowing our garden isn't overlooked and the only people I'll see, and that will see me, are Dave and the children.

I prepare myself though for the arrival of guests. I know my in-laws are due to arrive at about three o'clock. The last thing I want, is for them to surprise a bikini clad me. It would just be unpleasant all round. I'd suffer embarrassment and they'd have to look at me; not a pleasant sight.

So next to the lounger I put a dress which can be popped on as soon as I hear the car pull up at the front of the house.

I have a couple of false starts when I hear a car and check to see whether it's parking at the front of our house, but in both cases I'm mistaken.

And then, when I hadn't heard a thing, I see my sister-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law walking in through the back gates.

I'm like a rabbit in the headlights, immobilised.

As quickly as is reasonable the dress goes on, but the damage has been done. Wobbly bits have been exposed.

No comments: