Saturday 29 December 2007

A superpower please

I've just watched Spiderman 3. It was alright, I suppose, if you like that sort of thing. Anyway, that, combined with other events over the last few days, have made me want a superpower.

I want to be able to take things back that I've said or done.

This isn't because I've caused offence or insulted anyone deliberately. I can usually live with the consequences of that. If I regret something of that kind then I resolve it with an apology or some activity that makes amends. If I don't regret it then I let it stand.

I want to be able to retract when I've said or done something inadvertently that has messed things up. I seem to have a habit of putting my foot in it.

But this has to be a special power. It has to be anonymous and it needs to happen without the people involved knowing that something had even been said in the first place.

In the meantime, until someone grants me my desired power, I'll have to resort to verbal manoeuvring and the spoken equivalent of sleight of hand.

No comments: