Wednesday 5 December 2007

Love something, hate something

I have mentioned the dear and lovely, and indeed gorgeous, Gok Wan before.

His show, together with Trinny and Susannah, What not to Wear, 10 Years Younger and all programmes in a similar genre encourage, mainly women, to disguise the negative and accentuate the positive using clothing make-up or, in some cases, where all else fails, cosmetic surgery.

I think everyone has bits of their body they love, and bits they hate. And if not then at least there will be things one likes and things one does not like.

I'm not a fan of wishy washy emotions so here goes. I have things I love and things I hate about my body. Why else would I watch Gok et al (excepting the fact he's adorable)?

I wonder though, as we appraise other people's appearance, whether the bits we admire or dislike match the individual's own preferences.

I love my lips, but hate my stomach. There, I've said it. I don't feel any different for having admitted that, but there is a change.

Normally I would just focus on the negative. Mentioning the positive provides balance and perspective, qualities I wish my tummy would possess.

No comments: