Saturday 2 October 2010

Dear Weasel

michael-gove

This perhaps should be titled Dear Mr Gove but I really can’t stand the odious Michael Gove; I recoil at the thought of him.  But Gove has to be the addressee as he is the current Secretary of State for Education.

I have just spent a few hours trying to come up with a simple tunic that can be adapted to look vaguely Ancient Egyptian.  I did this because Hannah has to turn up to school dressed as an Ancient Egyptian.  I’ll be shopping for curtain tie back cord which will serve as a belt and, at the moment I have no idea how I’ll manage the colourful neck collar thingamabob.

I am not very creative and I don’t instinctively know how to make things like this.  I usually spend hours online looking for hints and tips and racking my brain for solutions that will be effective but with the minimum of effort.  I don’t expect someone to do this for me but I think it’s reasonable, given that the stuff I need to create is part of the national curriculum, that the Government provide some ideas.

A nice set of patterns with easy instructions on the Department for Children, Schools and Families website, together with supplier details would be great.  Throw in a hefty dose of optimisation for search and I’ll be a happy bunny.  And so would Hannah, because when she turns up in my creative effort she’ll look like an Ancient Egyptian loser.  And that’s not fair on her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dear Weasel" reminds me very much of the "Mandelweasel" name for Mr.Mandelson (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7537981/Lord-Mandelson-called-Mandelweasel-by-MP.html).
Are they all weasels there?

As for creating costumes... that is surely every mother's nightmare - why weren't we prepared for this torture when we went to mother-training-school?

:-)
Chickenpi

Rana said...

I was at college with the aforementioned weasel, but I think he's busy trying to "free" schools at the moment so I'll deign to reply on his behalf.

Namechecking another "famous" person, my dad did a similar costume for a play once using - honestly - a cheap umbrella bought that he cut up and somehow mangled into some sort of round-the-neck contraption.

Ann Cardus said...

I thought about an umbrella but settled for interesting pillow case I can repurpose. I just need some iron on "stuff" to stiffen the fabric. I don't even know what the fabric-stiffening stuff is called. *doomed to failure*