Sunday 31 October 2010

Not quite The Truman Show

Jim Carrey’s fabulous film The Truman Show is what the Disney experience should be like.  It’s not quite there.

As we were walking around Disneyland Paris I found myself noticing the imperfections.  I know I should have been swept up in the sugar-coated fun and excitement but I was noticing the flaking paint, the faded colours, the peeling decals, the mould, the less than perfectly saccharin staff attitude and the graffiti.

I think portraying perfection is something that Disney thinks it does well, which is why it needs more people looking for the detail and a bigger maintenance budget.

I know most people won’t spot the flaws that I found (I’ve been told I’m picky) but it’s the thin end of the wedge and, if others notice a fraction of what I noticed, it starts to shatter the illusion.

No comments: