Monday 18 October 2010

We’ve done the maths

Ashford to Disneyland and back is 751km.
Fuel economy figures for S-MAX diesel model we have are:

  • Urban: 7.2 litres/100km
  • Extra urban: 4.9 litres/100km
  • Combined: 5.7 litres/100km
My fuel economy advisor says that these numbers are obtained by a driver who is going all out for fuel economy and they won’t have a car full of distractions, luggage and children.  My advisor tells me that for everyday economy the Urban figure is a good guide.
So to work out how many litres of fuel I’ll need for my return journey I need to divide my distance (751) by 100 and then multiply by 7.2.
Fuel needed for journey = 751*7.2/100 = 54 litres
An S-MAX has a 70 litre tank.
Woohoo!  We don’t have to worry about the French fuel blockades and, because nobody else will be able to get fuel, there will be nobody else on the road.
The only thing I need to worry about is the Saudi intelligence advising France that there is a threat of an al-Qaeda terrorist attack.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11562598

No comments: