Sunday 5 December 2010

Breakthrough

My relationship with Breakthrough Breast Cancer goes back a few years but in 2003 it got personal.  In 2003 I was part of a pilot for the Breakthrough Generations study.  I’ve continued my involvement and I currently owe some very talented scientists some blood samples and a completed questionnaire.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit the Breakthrough research facility which is attached to the Royal Marsden hospital.  Using a microscope to look at cancer cells that are physically moving towards lung tissue cells that have been placed in the same Petri dish is a very compelling experience. 

Losing someone close is bound to affect the way one feels about a disease and about supporting a charity devoted to finding a cure.  Having seen the professionalism of this particular charity and the quality of the research scientists employed merely reinforces the strength of that support.

I would encourage you to participate in the study, but having checked the website I don’t think they need more recruits.  Instead I’d just say to you that Breakthrough is a worthy cause.  I’ve seen the work they do and I’ve worked closely with them.  And they need money to process my questionnaire and to analyse and store my blood samples…

No comments: