Tuesday 14 December 2010

Roly Poly Mince Pies

This is the first of three recipes I’m posting for Lianna.  I could photocopy them but I like having an online recipe because I can always get access to it even if I’m away from home.

I haven’t tried these but I will be trying them next week.  They look so easy that I’m sure nobody could fail.

Ingredients

  • 50g golden caster sugar
  • 375g ready rolled puff pastry
  • 411g jar of mincemeat
  • 1tbsp milk
  • 25g flaked almonds, optional

Method

  • Pre-heat oven to 220C or 180C for fan oven.
  • Scatter sugar over worktop and unroll pastry and place it on top of the sugar.  Roll it out a bit until it’s about 25% bigger but still a rectangle.
  • Spoon and spread mincemeat evenly over the pastry leaving a 2cm border along the longest edges.
  • Fold one of the longest edges over so it just reaches the mincemeat and then roll the pastry tightly into a sausage shape while gently pressing the pastry into the mincemeat.
  • When you get to the other edge, brush the “sausage” with milk and press down to seal in the mincemeat.
  • Press both ends in gently to plump up the roll and chill for at least 30 minutes to firm. (Can be frozen whole or sliced for up to 3 months.)
  • Cut the roll into 12 rounds about 3cm thick.
  • Lay them evenly spaced on a baking sheet and flatten them with your hand so that they look like squashed Chelsea buns.
  • Scatter almonds on top, if using, and bake for 20-30 mins until golden brown and the mincemeat sizzles.
  • Store without stacking or they will stick together.

No comments: