Monday 7 April 2008

Dirty protest

Some people disapprove of China's behaviour in Tibet. I'm no expert but, based on press coverage, I'm inclined to agree with them.

So why didn't I join the protesters trying to disrupt the progress of the Olympic torch through London?

Well, it would be hypocritical of me.

I remember when South Africa still had apartheid and I remember sporting boycotts and protests. I also remember product boycotts and official sanctions at the same time.

For China there are protesters but there isn't a big move to boycott Chinese products. I imagine it's because it's too difficult. China supplies too many of the goods in our stores. A boycott requires too much effort and protesters have become lazy.

It's easy to turn up, wave a placard and hurl abuse. It might even be fun. Making life more difficult by trying to source alternatives to Chinese manufactured products is, frankly, too much like hard work.

I'd like to know how many of the protesters in London yesterday let their views affect their entire approach to life, and how many viewed it as a "day out."

No comments: