Sunday 4 May 2008

Nostalgia

While I was growing up my parents had a series of coffee makers. Most were the reservoir, filter, jug variety but there was one that was different.

I like coffee and, at home, we use a simple cafetiere. It doesn't take up a lot of space and can be packed away when not in use. The coffee it produces is OK but can be a bit muddy.

I don't really remember the coffee made by Mum and Dad's Cona vacuum coffee maker but I do remember it being an amazing piece of kit, and just a little bit scary while being operated.

I think it was an electric version as I don't remember any burner or it needing to sit on the hob.

I had wondered whether I might find the remnants of the machine tucked away somewhere in his house and I have romantic notions of refurbishing/reconditioning/fixing it and using it. But it hasn't appeared yet.

As an alternative I tried to find out whether they were still made and had the misfortune to discover the Cona website. So I think the answer is no to Cona electric version.

Bodum make one that gets varying reviews but is made of plastic and lacks the Cona aesthetic (shame that aesthetic isn't applied to the website) and Cona only make the slightly strange-looking paraffin ones which just look tricky.

I think I'll be sticking with the cafetiere.

No comments: