Sunday 22 October 2006

The future

The future isn't here. Let me clarify, the future as I want it and have imagined it, isn't here. For example….

I went to the gym tonight. I couldn't surf the internet at the gym. Well if I had one of those poxy phones with the tiny displays I could have surfed, but in name only. It's not like big screen, normal keyboard surfing.

Now in my future, the future that should be here by now, things would be different. I'd be able to work out and, instead of listening to the fabulous Geoff show podcast, I'd be able to surf in my head. I'd be able to see a screen which wouldn't be real but would be a sort of mental projection. It would of course be wireless internet and to surf I'd just have to think of either the web page or the Google search term. If I need to e-mail I'd probably use Hotmail because web based e-mail works best in my future. To type content I'd just have to think it. If I needed to print anything I'd hit the mental print button and it would send a print signal to a printer of my choice.

Now clearly this would enable any form of web activity including chat, buying, downloading, uploading. Now how would this be possible? Well I think some form of minor surgery would be necessary – a bit like micro-chipping dogs. Content being uploaded, downloaded etc. would have to be stored somewhere, plus there would have to be some kind of basic user interface that enables the brain to be used for this particular application.

Now surely this sounds a bit more like the future than anything else that's available right now!

No comments: