Thursday 26 October 2006

Pumpkin part deux

You know I had a job to do. I had a mouldy pumpkin and it needed replacing.

Isn't it fantastic that there are wars going on, major political developments happening around the world, incredible sporting feats being achieved every day and I'm worried about a mouldy pumpkin, or at least replacement. OK, maybe it's not fantastic that wars are going on, but you get my drift.

Today we took ourselves off to Marsh Farm. For those of you unfamiliar with Marsh Farm (OK, that's everyone then), it's a bit like a city farm for kids that don't know what farm animals look like, except it's based in the country and it's a real working farm, bizarrely run by the County Council. What I mean is that it's bizarre that it's run by the County Council not that they run it in a bizarre fashion (and by that I don't mean they wear strange wellies – are you still with me?)

Weather was great and we had a happy brood of little ones excited about sheep, cattle, pigs and wotnot. We were taking a picnic lunch. I cheated on this one as our cupboards were bare so we took a diversion to Sainsburys and the net result was that the children ate more of the picnic lunch than they would have if I'd made it (cheeky buggers).

And the coolest thing about the trip was that they had pumpkin carving laid on. Two birds, one stone – bingo.

The only downside that I could see was that somebody (i.e. me) still had to do some carving but, as Mel tells me when we go to the gym, "no pain, no gain".

And they had templates and scoops and really sharp knives and they'd already lopped the top off. Anyway, it's better than my first attempt and I thought you might like a picture:

No comments: