Tuesday 3 October 2006

RTA

RTA - or road traffic accident to you and me.

This morning on the way to work I saw a car hit a motorcyclist. The rider came off the bike and the bike skidded on its side.

Now what would you do, if that happened in front of you? Well I stopped and went over to offer help. Admittedly I couldn't offer much help.

I've only done a first aid course that covered emergency first aid for children. I'm pretty sure that resuscitation for a baby using just 2 fingers to get the heart going wouldn't work on a 6 foot plus motorcyclist.

Plus I'd left my mobile phone at work so when I asked "do you need an ambulance?" my offer of help would have meant I'd have needed to run to the ambulance station (not too far away) or flag down another motorist.

My point is that I tried. I stopped and so did a lovely white van man. Every other bugger was just too interested in driving around the incident without it delaying their commute.

Anyway, the nice motorcyclist didn't need an ambulance and the little old lady that had knocked him off his bike went to call the police. While she was away I offered injured biker my details if he needed a witness.

Anyway, what's wrong with all of the muppets on the road who just couldn't be bothered? I really see how people can be attacked in public and get no help from the general public. It's sick and it's sad.

No comments: