Friday 27 October 2006

Grumpy Old Man

The cupboards were bare today so we had to go shopping. I know it's bad when there's not even any milk for a cup of tea. This becomes even more important when there's a decorator working on the house ("milk and half a sugar please").

So despite having les enfants in tow I braved Sainsburys. Now anyone with children will know supermarket shopping with children can be a challenge. Anyone who doesn't have children but has watched Supernanny or Little House of Tiny Tearaways or this advert: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2465948386590250588&q=tantrum+supermarket will also know it can be challenging.
I actually consider myself lucky. My children don't tend to have tantrums or hissy fits in the supermarket. They tend to see the supermarket as a huge play area and run around laughing, hugging one another and helping me pick stuff off the shelves and pop it in the trolley.
My point is that their behaviour could be a lot worse and generally the reaction they get from other shoppers is positive. They usually make people smile because they're having so much fun.


Well today Ethan, as he was skipping around the place chasing Hannah, accidentally bumped into an elderly gentleman who was shopping with his wife. I immediately apologised even though it had been the slightest of contact. Anyway this man turned round and with venom in his voice said "Can't you control them?". It was one of those situations where the perfect retort is apparent hours after the event so I just said "No".

The only slight consolation was that a nice lady who had seen this happen, came up to me and said "Some people can't help being grumpy".

So this blog is dedicated to Mr Grumpy of Brentwood. If he has grandchildren I hope they don't have to spend time in his company.

No comments: