Wednesday 8 November 2006

Bra as universal storage

I am perhaps unique in this regard - do other women use their bra as a storage location?

I find it can be used to hold a multitiude of items. Some of these, I think are not too uncommon, for example a spare tissue (in my case for emergency child nose wiping). Such an item can be secreted into a cup and easily removed at speed when needed.

Many other items too can be held safe in this warm and secure location.

But I'd like to explain why I use this in preference to other places. Increasingly clothing doesn't have pockets. Most of the skirts I own don't have pockets and the same is true for some of my trousers. Tops, blouses and shirts hardly ever have any pockets either so it's not uncommon for me to find I am pocketless. Although sometimes even if I have a pcket I don't consider it secure enough. Some pockets aren't designed to hold things, they're designed for hands, so these aren't suitable for storage.

So what do I store in my lingerie, apart from the obvious?

Well train tickets are an obvious one because I need to be able to whip a ticket out quickly and store it just as fast. Handbags and purses are all very well but they require thought, effort, co-ordination, and placing anything there and wanting to be able to find it again quickly is usually a two-handed job, not the easiest when negotiating a crowded train or tube.

Money might not seem so obvious but if one is popping out without a purse or pockets where should one stash a tenner or a twenty? And don't say stocking tops.

A shopping list or other note is another easily referenced item if stored in the right place.
Lipstick is a tricky one and usually has to be stowed in the middle, if you know what I mean. I have been known to grab a lippy, stash it and take it to the powder room for a touch up (I realise that could sound rude, but it's not). Saves taking a handbag or a coat.


And the last item that springs to mind, which I don't recommend for reasons which will become apparent, is a small mp3 player. I did this yesterday in the gym. It needs the same method that one would apply for lipstick - sort of wedged, but it's not a reliable system. On the cross trainer after about 15 minutes I realised it was slipping and I ended up with my mp3 player dangling by the earphone lead, banging around near my knees. This is not cool.

No comments: