Tuesday 7 November 2006

Call me evil!

I did something a bit naughty today. And Dave reckons there will be consequences.

We have an unwritten but frequently spoken rule in our team at work: if you miss the team meeting, you will be allocated tasks.

Now I think that's fair-ish but that's because I usually try to be in the office on a Tuesday morning so I can attend the team meeting. It's less fair for the folk whose job it is to liaise with offices in Europe. They have to travel and it's not easy to arrange these trips to avoid Tuesdays.

Today we had a few people who couldn't attend. I don't really know why Denis wasn't there, especially as he turned up fairly soon after the meeting finished.

Anyway, I couldn't resist a little wind up. I told Denis that because he hadn't been there he had been nominated to pull together a presentation for our manager's manager for probably the end of the month. I told him that the format and date hadn't been agreed but that we'd discussed a few options. Tracey realized what I was doing and joined in with a few exaggerated ideas on the format for the presentation.

Well Denis didn't take this very well. I had anticipated that he might be a bit fed up, but his reaction was more than just upset.

I went around to our manager's office to confess, because I figured it wouldn't take long before Denis went in to Brendan's office to vent his displeasure. Well Brendan wasn't there so I nipped back to my desk and sent him an e-mail. I had offsite meetings in the afternoon so this was the only way I could pass a message on, a post it note would have been too risky.

My e-mail was titled "Call me evil!" and the reply came back "Evil". So this is a test. I know people in the office read this, but I don't think Denis does. If he does read it, his reward will be to learn that we were winding him up. If he doesn't then I consider this to be revenge.

I thought Denis and I got on. We sit next to one another, exchanging friendly teasing office banter and I'd not been aware of any problems. Well, seems I was wrong. Now we are different personalities. I'm noisy (friends reading this are thinking this is an understatement), Denis is quiet. Well he's trying to move. He doesn't want to sit next to me. He's had enough. And this was before I wound him up. Therefore, wind up = revenge.

Dave reckons I'm due payback. I'm not sure.

No comments: