Wednesday 29 November 2006

Second chance

I'm going away this weekend. It's always reassuring when you can find the hotel you've booked in a guide book.

I've bought two guide books. I'm not reassured.

A friend has recommended a restaurant. That isn't in the guide books either.

We're going away because it's our wedding anniversary – 11 years of suffering (his not mine). I don't want you getting the idea that we're a romantic couple who use any excuse to go away for the weekend.

I think that last year was the first time we went away for our anniversary. We felt after 10 years we'd earned it, plus Dave's parents offered to look after the children.

Last year the venue was Lille, which I can thoroughly recommend, especially near Christmas. We booked a fabulous hotel and had a great time until we got the telephone call from Dave's Mum telling us that Ethan was being admitted to A&E. This isn't the greatest thing to happen during a romantic weekend away. Needless to say we were on the first train back and, instead of a 4 star hotel; I spent the night on a camp bed next to Ethan in a hospital. He was fine the next morning, almost entirely recovered from his nasty chest infection.

So this year, Dave's parents asked if we wanted another chance, not necessarily in Lille, but the chance to go away somewhere. Given our form I didn't think Dave would be interested, but he was. So we're going away this weekend with two guide books that don't even mention our hotel. At least last year our hotel was in the book.

No comments: