Tuesday 21 November 2006

Riding the rollercoaster

Motherhood has its ups and downs.

Not so long ago Hannah was going to be Mary in the school nativity. That was an up.

Today Hannah advises she's not going to be Mary anymore. That's a down.

I know that it shouldn't matter to me, and I haven't made a big fuss about the change, but I did ask "Why's that then?"

Hannah tells me she didn't want to be Mary anymore and it seems her accommodating teacher has acceded to Hannah's wishes.

It transpires that Hannah was required to look surprised as part of her role (maybe at the idea of an immaculate conception – I know I'd look surprised if I hadn't had sex and found myself up the duff) and she didn't want to look surprised, or felt she didn't know how to look surprised.

I tried to demonstrate that looking surprised wasn't as challenging as Hannah thought but I didn't dent her resolve. It seems it's irretrievable anyway as Millie is the new Mary and Hannah is merely a traveller en route to Bethlehem.

Maybe they knew we were atheists and were just looking for an excuse, or maybe they were just trying to "out the ginger." Either way, I'm heartbroken (and I don't know quite how I'm going to break the news to my mother-in-law.)

No comments: