Tuesday 28 November 2006

Idiot

I am an idiot.

We had our second monthly marketing meeting of the year yesterday. Monthly is clearly a misnomer, biannual would be more appropriate.

One of the agenda items covered was Pulse. Allow me to explain for the uninitiated. Pulse is an employee survey conducted annually to test the mood of the workers.

Anyway, boss's boss explained some of the results by way of graph comparisons but made it clear he wanted to gain a deeper understanding of the reasons behind some of the scores. He recognised people may not want to open up in such a public forum and said he'd like to hear from just one or two people.

This is when I opened by big mouth (readers who know me will recognise my inability to shut up).

I suggested it might be helpful if we met in our work groups and then provided feedback on a one to one basis.

This morning following our team meeting we met, discussed what our input should be and decided on the person pulling together the presentation and presenting it. Guess who?

What a muppet. I have been bitching and moaning about workload, e-mail overload, inability to cope, losing control, losing the plot etc. And because it was my bloody stupid idea, I get the task.

So on Monday, which for the record is a vacation day for me, I have scheduled a meeting with the boss's boss to provide some upward feedback. Because I am stressed, overloaded etc, the only day I can make this fit, is a vacation day.

Idiot, idiot, idiot!

No comments: