Wednesday 1 November 2006

Going down

Apparently MySpace is on the decline. Numbers of visitors are down month on month.

Now I'm sort of late to this whole MySpace thing, but I'm not going to be impressed if a year from now MySpace is so naff it has just a million or so users.

Something like that could happen very quickly and it wouldn't surprise me if something bigger and better did supercede the current MySpace phenomenon.

I think that websites that make it big and then fail generally do so by becoming too corporate.
MySpace is already doing something to prevent uploading of copywright content, well for a whole bunch of users that's their reason for being here.


MySpace is also becoming too open to fraud and spamming. I'm fed up with Friend Requests from people or groups that are solely interested in publicity. Roger by the way is an exception which just goes to show that spam is only spam if it lacks relevance, ditto junk mail.

An individual who has been surfing through profiles, found mine and thought "she's interesting, we have something in common" is what I consider to be a genuine request.

A group or organisation that uses software to blast profiles is simply a cynical abuse of a community space. Worst still are the people or organisations that seek to extract e-mail and password information for fraud.

I think MySpace should be investing time and resource in preventing spam and fraud. So get on it Tom. If you don't act now you will alienate your fickle users and they will leave, in droves. If this happens then I'll leave too, because I'm like the rest of them. It's a herd mentality and we all go where the the masses go. We'll all leave to the next community space that offers the same as MySpace but more. I don't know quite what the more is yet but that's for the next generation of billionaires to figure out. I don't know what extra funtionality I want or need. I need someone to show me.

No comments: