Friday 10 November 2006

Parental pride

I'm in shock. Hannah tells me she is going to be Mary in the school nativity play. I'm sooooo proud. Admittedly this story requires verification.

She started by telling me that she was going to be an actor in the Christmas play but she couldn't remember who. I admit I prompted her asking whether Miss Cleminson had said she was going to be Mary, and she said "yes". Now she also knew that Thomas is going to be the Innkeeper, and she swears that she is going to be Mary so I'm inclined to believe her.

Now there are a few things that surprise me about this news.

Firstly Hannah has red hair and we're not talking strawberry blonde, we're talking beautiful rich red hair with natural blonde highlights. Now I've seen many pictures of Mary and she has never ever been portrayed with red hair.

Secondly, we're atheists. Hannah goes to the most holy of Church of England Schools. Honestly, it's so high church it's virtually Catholic. The application form required a whole section to be completed by Father Bob. This section was omitted on our form because we wouldn't know Father Bob from Father Ted. Hannah got in because we happen to live near the school.

There are a few things that don't surprise me about this news: Hannah's teacher seems to think Hannah's very bright and a "lovely girl" and Hannah is usually well behaved. She also has an amazing memory, so learning lines wouldn't be a problem, although maybe Joseph has more lines because he's the one who talks to the Innkeeper.

So there's a huge part of me that's massively proud because when I was at school I was only ever a shepherd. There is another part of me that's thinking about the costume, and I've already been on the phone to my mother-in-law who thinks she has an old blue sheet, suitable for adaptation. We're thinking of meeting tomorrow at Bluewater to do a handover so that I have enough time to get busy with the sewing machine. I know you think it's sad I have a sewing machine but curtains and school plays were my reasons for buying.

I wonder if Woolworths sells Mary outfits?

No comments: