Tuesday 5 December 2006

I'm a nutter, what are you?

I had a really nice day today .. and I was at work too.I know I've been whinging about workload and stress and I do have too many bloody things that need doing before year end and no days in the office in which to do them. I think a lot of the guys in the team suffer the same stresses and I think boss man realises that so he sorted a time out day.

We went away from the office, discussed the good things we'd achieved in 2006 and discussed some of the challenges facing us for 2007. When we discuss things as a team it isn't one way, it's a free for all and it's a nice relaxed environment where everyone feels they can contribute.

After all of the business stuff we went through a process of trying to put ourselves in boxes. Not literally you understand, although that could probably be found on some team building management course somewhere. And actually depending on how many people and how big the box it could be fun, but I digress. We all did a personality test. The thinking was it would help to understand the working personality styles of our colleagues.

I don't think any of us were particularly surprised by our results. We're all fairly mature if not in age, then in outlook. For some of us we're mature in age but not in outlook, for others it's the other way around. The test we did was Belbin. I couldn't find the test accessible online because the originators want to make money from their idea but it's just like most other tests. You complete a whole bunch of questions and, with a bit of magic jiggery pokery, you are presented with results that tell you what you already know.

So I know what I am, here are the categories: http://www.12manage.com/description_belbin_team_roles_theory.html Take a guess. What do you think I am?

So after we'd had an interesting time naval gazing, we headed for the pub. Now, quite often I agree with Karen, pubs are stinky places with nowhere to sit and where, when crowded, you can't hear a thing. Well we didn't pick the best pub, but we had seats and it wasn't too noisy. And actually I can usually put up with the environment if the company is right. And it was right. Good conversation and a great mood. Shame my evil husband made me leave before I wanted to.

No comments: