Thursday 7 December 2006

Who needs Trinny and the other one?

I was caught unawares today. I went out with kiddiwinks dressed in winter garb: coats but not waterproofs. On the way back home the heavens opened and we faced driving rain mixed with sleet and a vicious, cold, biting, wind.

We got soaked. Kids at least had hoods on their coats but I was less protected.

So I was a drowned rat, as were children. It was clothes off and central heating on when we got in followed by nice hot lunch.

I didn't have time, or the inclination, to fix my hair, which had become unfixed by the weather. I looked like a bedraggled and unkempt mess. Still I was only doing the school run and catching up with good friends.

I'm not a competitive school run mum. I don't make sure my make up is immaculate and my clothing just perfect. I wear what I wear and make up is merely a factor of whether I could be bothered. Manicures and pedicures are nice to haves but frankly I don't have the time. Facials would be great but I think my skin is beyond saving.

And good friends accept you as you are. They don't judge you because of your appearance.

So it was a surprise when Lou and Janet said "I like your hair" and they weren't joking. They liked the waves rather than the straightened hair they normally see.

To my mind my hair just looks messy today. But if it's an improvement then maybe I should just go with it. I'm just not sure how to recreate the look. I'm not going to find a hailstorm every morning.

So if you see me with messy hair – you'll know why. It's a new look I'm trying out.

No comments: