Tuesday 19 December 2006

Non work related stress

I'm losing what little organisational skills I had.

It's Hannah's last ever day at Nursery tomorrow. I have known about this for a while, probably six months. And for four years I've known there will be a last day.

So given it's a known you'd think I'd plan for it and I sort of have. There's a card and something for all the staff to share. There's a gift for her 'teacher' and there are the obligatory treats for the kiddiwinks in her class.

So far so good.

But it's also her last day at school before Christmas and I have noticed the other mums with gift bags at the school gate. Now I have thought about this, and I did have ideas – I just didn't get around to sorting anything out.

Well we have sorted Christmas cards and we've struggled to get Hannah writing about 35 cards for her friends and teachers – she's only four years old and we didn't bribe her with sweets, unlike some other mums I could mention.

But the gift thing never happened. So I'm now thinking, what have we got in the house that will do. And the only thing I can think of is booze. She has two teachers and a teaching assistant – a bottle of wine each? And I don't have any gift bags, is wrapping paper OK?

And then there's the lollipop lady. Now she deserves something because it's a shitty job. She has to be there in all weathers and on Friday I heard some obnoxious teenagers giving her abuse. It took me a while to realise what was happening and I didn't have time to do anything. If I see that happening again I'm going to give the kids a piece of my mind, and my kids will tell you that when mummy is mad, steer clear! So bottle of wine for her too? Where is she going to store it while she's in the middle of the road? And if she leaves it on the pavement will the nasty kids steal it?

And then, there's the after school club which, to be fair, I hadn't even considered. And there are so many members of staff and I don't know all of their names, I don't know what to do.

And I need to sort this out tonight, before I go to bed.

No comments: