Monday 4 December 2006

Pants on fire!

When was the last time you told a lie?

I don't consider myself a compulsive liar but I do lie quite a lot. I don't lie about big things, so there's no fraud involved or criminal activity. It's the small things that lead me astray.

Example:

"Nice coat Ann." Would provoke "Oh, this old thing, I've had it ages" or "Oh, this….yes, it was a bargain in the sales." When in fact it cost a fortune and I bought it last week. Actually that's a bad example because I have had my coat ages and it was a bargain in the sales but you don't expect me to own up to the real lies do you. What would be the point in the initial deception?

Another, although this may be closer to the truth:

"Dave, I'm off to Bluewater to do some Christmas shopping." When in fact I am doing some Christmas shopping but I'm indulging in other activity too. I mean if you're in Bluewater walking past all of these lovely shops it's really tough to keep to just Christmas shopping. I'm telling you this because I think Dave secretly knows the truth.

Having started this with the intention of providing a whole host of examples, I now find myself reticent, unwillingly to bare my dishonesty.

I want to tell you the classic "Your hair really suits you like that" which is said to the insecure person asking for a second opinion. Now if someone is insecure I believe they need a confidence boost, so of course I'll tell them it looks great. (Karen – your hair does look great and you're not lacking in self confidence.) You see this can all get a bit tricky, because a lie used for one person isn't always appropriate for another.

So any liars out there or is it just me?

No comments: