Saturday 21 April 2007

Beyond the pale

Dave's going for a bike ride early tomorrow morning. We try and have a rule that at the weekends we both try to be around as much as possible to spend time with the children. This means that an early bike ride usually means setting an alarm at 6:00am.

He's had a tough week and I think I've had a tough week so we're both fairly tired.

As a result he asked me this evening whether I'd mind if he didn't get up 'stupid early'.

I asked "What do you mean 'stupid early'?"

"Well maybe getting up at six thirty?" he replied.

"Yeah, that's OK," I said, "but only if you don't take forever to get out of the house."

"I'll be out by seven."

"Why does it take you 30 minutes to get up, put clothes on, have breakfast and get on your bike? It shouldn't take more than ten minutes."

"That's just not possible."

"Yes it is. One minute to put your clothes on, actually that could be 30 seconds, then ..."

Dave interrupted. "I could probably get out of the house in 20 minutes if I rushed."

"Why 20? Ten minutes is plenty enough time."

"OK. Six thirty it is then." and he walked off not prepared to discuss it further.

Clearly I was beyond the pale.

2 comments:

northernlight said...

If he spent less time getting ready, he could have spent more time sleeping. It is only a thought..

Ann Cardus said...

You see you and I are on the same wavelength.