Wednesday 13 February 2008

Can I recommend?

I know I'm on holiday and I should be staying away from technology and relaxing...blah, blah, blah. But you know what I'm like and I didn't talk to you yesterday (more down to circumstance and opportunity than anything else) so here I am.

The weather in Madeira is notoriously changeable. (To avoid confusion I should explain I'm in Madeira.) I looked out this morning to see a chink of light under a heavy blanket of cloud in the distance. The next time I looked out I couldn't see anything because I was in the cloud. Well it might have been rain. I'm never sure how one knows.

We took a pre-booked bus cursing our poor timing, arranging an excursion to travel on a cable car when the weather was so awful. We were dropped off in Funchal harbour and walked, in the rain, towards the cable car. We dragged our feet and diverted via the old town to avoid the inevitable trip up in altitude which we were sure would be enveloped by cloud.

We were very wrong. The sun came out and the cloud retreated.

My lunch at the top was an amazing chicken soup (bones and all) and we followed it up with a trip to Monte Palace Tropical Garden.

OK, I know the botanical gardens are better known but this place was fantastic. An unexpected little treasure.

The rain did catch up with us but only as we were making our way back to the cable car and when we reached the seafront we were bathed in sunshine once more, and the sun only left us when it dropped below the horizon.

No comments: