Sunday 3 February 2008

A voyage of discovery

OK, it's probably an overstatement to call it a voyage of discovery given that it was just a walk in the park but I did learn a couple of things.

Firstly I saw these, which are orange ladybirds with 16 cream coloured spots (latin name Halyzia 16-guttata). I don't think I've seen them before, and if I have I've never seen so many in one place.



And secondly I found goats. I had known there were goats kept in the park because I remember seeing the hoohar in the local paper about where they should be kept. I think they're Cheviot goats. My quick Google results indicate a small number were donated in 2000 by the Parish of Lynton and Lynmouth. The trouble is they seem to have donated four females and two female kids. The lack of males makes it difficult to explain why there were 20 plus there today. Maybe they joined an existing trip of Cheviot or other goats. Anyway they seemed to be quite impressive beasts.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow I will be going soon with my love of goats

Ann Cardus said...

Don't you dare. They are not for the cooking pot!