Sunday 17 February 2008

Domestically dreaming

We had a date today. Maybe that's over-calling it. We had arranged to meet friends for a walk in the park followed by lunch at their place. It was sort of a reciprocal thing as we'd hosted the same thing a few weeks ago.

I don't want you to think we're talking about high cuisine; we're not. Jacket spuds though are the perfect warming food following a walk in the countryside. Nonetheless it seemed appropriate to take an offering to add to the meal.

Yesterday evening I started to think about this. I thought I could bake something this morning. I reasoned that we didn't have to leave the house until about ten fifteen which would give me plenty of time.

I have a muffin recipe book which produces excellent results but I can appear to be a one trick pony by churning these out whenever something is required. And muffins are OK, but sometimes a cake is nicer.

A friend has recommended a chocolate brownie recipe but I've not tried the recipe myself. (If I do I'll happily share.) So I decided that a chocolate cake would be just lovely (and feasible).

I woke up soon after nine o'clock. There was a mad part of me that still considered baking something but my attention soon turned to finding the time for a speedy diversion to Sainsbury en route to pick up something suitable.

For reference, Gu do a good line in brownies.

No comments: