Friday 8 February 2008

The future is orange

A couple of years ago I used a product P20 for protection from the sun. It's a strange product that is applied once at the beginning of the day and doesn't need reapplying. It smells funny, feels funny and stains clothes, but apart from that it works quite well.

One day I was feeling a bit pale. I'd applied P20 and spent some time in the sun but was still my usual pasty white. I decided I needed browner legs so I applied some moisturiser with a built-in self tan. As with most self tans it took a while to 'develop'. By the time I reached my friend's house I had orange legs. I'd used P20 before and it hadn't resulted in orange legs. I'd used this self tan before and it hadn't resulted in orange legs. It was the combination of the two that had this undesirable result. (And if anyone needs to know - baby wipes, vigorously applied, are very good if ever one needs to remedy this situation and avoid further embarassment.)

Last week I was looking pale and very uninteresting. I often use a tinted moisturiser (instead of foundation) but this particular morning I needed more colour. I grabbed another brand of tinted moisturiser that I hadn't used for a while and pepped up my complexion. During the school run one of the mums remarked "you look healthy." After a bit of a friendly exchange about self tan and tinted moisturisers she said I looked glowing and I said "you mean orange?" and she smiled a knowing smile.

For a long time Tracey has been telling me I should colour my hair. My natural hair colour is dull and drab and I resort a hairdresser's chemicals to give me a bit of a lift. This takes ages and I don't have the time to waste a hairdresser. Yesterday I took the plunge and coloured my hair myself. I looked in the mirror and my face fell. My hair had turned old lady orange. I texted Tracey and she gave me a strategy.

I did nothing and faced the school run, and nobody noticed a thing.

I picked Hannah up and Dave came home and, even with prompting, they noticed nothing.

I saw friends the next morning and they noticed nothing.

The future is bright.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hettie couldn't say orange when she was a toddler. She used to say arnu. If you say the future's bright, the future's arnu it doesn't sound as bad as orange :-)

Ann Cardus said...

That doesn't make it any less depressing to look in the mirror. At least people will stop asking me where Hannah gets her red hair from.