Monday 8 October 2007

Fighting Satan

Hannah told me that Friday was St Michael's day. I have no reason to disbelieve her and given the religiosity of her school I'm sure she's well informed.

I asked her what was special about St Michael as I'm not very 'up' on saints and their various attributes.

Apparently St Michael fought the devil. I asked "Who won?" I was advised St Michael was victorious.

To celebrate this particular Saints day Hannah drew a picture at school of St Michael with his foot on the vanquished devil's head. I think it's nice that a five year old is exposed to such violent imagery.

Maybe nice isn't quite the right word. Perhaps horrifying is more appropriate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As they say to me, let's see the picture. Anyway, something reminds me of the old joke …

Sister Maria wakes up one morning and goes running to Mother Superior. "I'm not sure what to do Mother" she says, "I had a strange experience last night. I felt things that I have never felt before. It was strange but wonderful. A man visited me in my sleep and did things to me and filled me with the rapture of delight. But when I awoke this morning the sheets were wet but there was no-one else here".

"That's quite alright" said Mother Superior "I can understand that sensation. I've felt those base human desires myself. Don't worry, it's just a sign from God that He loves you deeply."

"Of course" said a relieved Sister Maria "It must have been a messenger from God. Because when I looked on the inside of the man's shirt, I saw that it was St Michael himself".

Ann Cardus said...

Very good. ;)