Sunday 11 November 2007

Another recipe

It has been well documented, mostly by me, that I am an eejit.

My latest act of stupidity was to order five 1.25kg bags of organic carrots when I actually wanted five carrots.

So I made some soup, and I thought I'd share a recipe for carrot and coriander soup should you ever find yourself in the same predicament, unlikely I know.

Preparation and cooking time: 40 mins
Serves: 6

25g (1oz) butter
1 medium onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
550g (1 1/4 lb) carrots, of which 450g (1 lb) roughly chopped and 110g (4 oz) coarsely grated
1 litre (1 3/4 pints) vegetable or chicken stock
a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
150ml (1/4 pint) single cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper

To garnish:
150 ml (1/4 pint) yoghurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander

Melt the butter and cook the onion and garlic gently until soft in a covered saucepan, without colouring. Add the roughly chopped carrots, stock and nutmeg. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender. Cool a little and puree in a liquidiser. Return soup to a clean saucepan and stir in the grated carrots, coriander and cream. Taste for seasoning. Serve garnished with a swirl of yoghurt and a sprinkling of the fresh coriander.

No comments: