Thursday 15 November 2007

Be prepared

On days when I work I get home at about ten to five and need to have prepared or very nearly prepared for Hannah to eat quickly before bath and bedtime. Ethan has an evening meal at nursery but Hannah's after school club doesn't do a nutritious meal and she is only able to have a packed lunch in the middle of the day.

On Wednesday night Hannah and Ethan were being collected by Dave because I was caught in a meeting.

I'd got fish fingers in the oven with the oven timer set and some mash prepared in the fridge ready to be heated up quickly. This was to be supplemented by either peas, sweetcorn or baked beans; whatever took Hannah's fancy. All very quick and easy.

Dave got in, threw the mash in the microwave and started to serve up the fish fingers. A couple of minutes later everything was on the plate ready to eat.

It was only when Hannah started to eat some mash that everyone realised I'd got a container of cheese sauce out of the freezer, instead of mash. Not surprisingly Hannah didn't fancy that combination; fish fingers and cheese sauce.

Dave sorted something out but I made a mental note to label things I put in the freezer.

No comments: