Sunday 25 November 2007

Artistic talent

I dipped into IKEA on Friday and bought a couple of their gingerbread house kits, following the recommendation of a friend who'd used them last year.

The intention was that Ethan would decorate one, and Hannah the other.

The kit is less of a kit and more of a number of pieces of gingerbread in the shapes of various house components, e.g. walls, roof sides, chimney walls etc.

To 'glue' the house together, the instructions recommend melting sugar and using that as the cement. I'm no chef, and this was my first attempt at melting sugar, which actually turned out to be quite interesting, for me anyway. But I can now testify to the fact that melted sugar is a bitch to deal with and what seems like a simple process can, in reality, be very fiddly. I can also advise though, that hot water will melt the solidified remains of melted sugar that look to have ruined any saucepan or spoons used in the process.

I built two houses and then Hannah started decorating one and I started on the remaining one. I thought Ethan might start to show an interest, but his only interest was in eating it, so I did all of the decoration.

Here are the results of our efforts. I prefer Hannah's as I think it has a certain naive charm.












2 comments:

Rana said...

I didn't think it was possible to just "dip into" Ikea. Haven't the evil scheming designers set up a tortuous path that must be followed through it?

So I don't go there. But the cliché seems true, your flat pack panels did not seem to come with all the fittings ;)

Ann Cardus said...

Well getting to the check out was quick as there are many shortcuts that eliminate the majority of the store. I walked through two percent of the top floor and about ten percent of the goods collecting area of the ground floor. The queue was the problem. Well that and Ethan having a hissy fit, so much so that the kind ladies in front of me offered me a queue jump, which I declined. But it was a dip as far as an IKEA shop is concerned.