Monday 19 November 2007

Trust me I'm interactive

I love what's possible with the web. I love widgets but also some of the simple things like Flickr photo sharing.

I say simple but I'm sure Flickr is very complex. It allows me to share my photos with different degrees of access. There's public access, and two levels of private access: family or friend and there is also the option not to share at all.

In fact my plan is to add a widget thing to this blog that shows some of my Flickr pics.

The great thing about Flickr is that anyone with access can download the pics for free, at their original resolution. In theory that means people can Photoshop my pics so that they are in a format that is worthy of printing (or even loading into Facebook).

Of course that requires an element of skill, and that's where it can fall down. You see the skill required to view pictures on a website is a step below the skill and experience necessary to download, save and then order prints.

For people who grow up with the Internet this is incomprehensible, but if you see someone who's only become web savvy in the last few years attempt all of this you'll see a gulf of inexperience open up before your very eyes.

No comments: