Friday 19 January 2007

Boo!

I scared someone the other night.

When someone views my MySpace page I know they're there because of the meebo widget. I don't know who they are unless they change the display name, but I know someone is there. The way that I see them, or you, is as "meeboguest546372 is online".

Now the meebo widget allows online instant messaging without requiring the MySpace visitor to log into MSN or Yahoo, or Jabber, or ICQ, or whatever.

Now I usually leave the poor visitor (you) alone. I know you're there and equally you know I'm there. It'll tell you whether I'm logged into instant messaging via meebo or not. It's an unequal situation because the visitor knows exactly who I am, and I have no idea who the visitor is.

But the other night, I decided to say "boo!", initiating chat. I have absolutely no idea to whom I was saying "boo!" but I've never seen someone leave my page so quickly.

So sorry if I scared you. I don't know who you are but I was only being silly. Next time I say "boo!", say "boo!" back.

And if you really want to wind me up, don't change the display name. I hate the game of guess who the anonymous visitor is.

No comments: